Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Puppy Love

This year, 2009 marks the 40th anniversary of my graduation from Albemarle Senior High School ( as it was called when I went there..now just Albemarle High School) I was thinking of the times I spent in school and it reminded me of my first experience of what most call puppy love. I guess when you enter Junior High ( again as it was called when I was in school..now Middle School) anyway as I was saying when I entered Junior High..I started to feel I was "growing up" and to stop being a kid and become more of an adult. So I guess I started getting more serious about life in general. I was in Mrs. Iveys home room in Junior High. That is when we made new friends, kids from the other grade schools combined to make Junior High. Well there was this cute little blonde that I had a crush on....Janice..and I did everything I could think of to get her to notice me. Showing off..cutting up..whatever it took to try to "impress" her....well guess what? After a while she started to notice me. We didn't talk directly, just a smile and and a look and so forth. Anyway later on in the school year..there was a dance...and My sister Cindy and Janice's siter Faye decided that I should ask Janice to this dance. Well being shy when it came to asking someone out..I just couldn't bring myself to do that until Faye told Cindy that Janice "liked me"! So I felt a little more confident and I asked her to the dance..and she agreed to go. I got all ready that evening and took her to that dance...and then I made a boo boo....instead of sitting with her..I sat with the boys.....I guess I hadn't really grown up yet. My sister kept telling me " ask her to dance" which I finally did....I also messed up when I brought Janice some cake and dropped it into her lap accidentally....I felt so bad......I can't really remember much other than that BUT I am sure Janice did that evening. When Mother drove us to Janice's house ( on that rainy night) Janice ran so fast to her house, opened the door and ran in before I could say much....I appologized for being such a fool and so forth..not sure she heard any of it. But as I said I am sure Janice remembered that night longer than I did. So Janice IF you ever read this, even though it is some 45+ years later I am so sorry for what I did and hurting you. I was jsut a scared little boy, trying to be a man and I didn't know how to handle it at the time. I guess you have forgotten it by now but it has always been in the back of my mind...You were always a sweet young lady and I was an idiot!

I am sure others had a simulat experience when in Junior High...Even though I am probably the only one dumb enough to share this with anyone else...I know we have all been there. Had a crush on someone and whether they liked us or not..we acted the "fool" trying to impress. Some of us were lucky enough to got to go out with that person..and some of us just looked on from afar......Good or bad..it is an experience no one will ever forget..even though at the time it happened..you wished you could! I guess it is just a part of growing up. Just my thoughts.

No comments: