Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Adulthood

After I graduated High School I went to College ( I had to because all of the drop outs had all the jobs) Anyway I didn't lik college so I quit and went to work. I figured I would go back later and get an education ( something my parents said I needed to make it in this world) I got a job as a mechanic for Harvey Herlocker.....He taught me mechanics, better that I would have gotten is some school because it was a one on one experience. He helped me to learn things by letting me do it and if I was wrong, he explained it, showing me wher eI made my mistakes( NO the cars didn't leave without him making sure they were right first) Anyway I still do the same kind of work now..still turn wrenches. Most of the time I enjoy it..( yes I know alot of my classmates figured I would go no farther than that but it is a good profession now...back then maybe it wasn't) I enjoy the chalenges that I get..makes me use my brain. I don't have a computer in my shop to work on the newer cars, I just use the old noodle to figure things out and go that way. If I need help I have some other mechanic friends that are willing to help me figure things out. I did go back to Stany Tech ( as it was called back in 1981 when I was there). I took some courses, just never felt the need to finish. I knew what I enjoyed so I stayed in the mechanic field. Is it rewarding? Well I work for me and that can be good and bad. The good part is you work when you want and for as long as you want..can sit down and rest with no one to complain or fuss. The bad things are that you do all of the work....( no one to pass it off on) and that you have to argue with the boss( me) about getting a riase. I argue with me all the time. I keep telling myself I need a raise but the boss in me tells me I can't afford it..too many bills to pay and too much needed to be saved for more tools.Oh well...same old story...Just My Thoughts

No comments: