Thursday, January 10, 2013

Funerals

You know it seems lately that the only time I get to see some of my friends is at funerals. I was to Roy Still's funeral the other night ( Starr's father) and I saw several friends from High School. Most of them has aged gracefully, but Terri McManus looks the same to me as she did in High School. I wonder why some of us look older and some of us don't? Wonder if it is a blessing or a curse? Anyway, I missed the reunion and as I said earlier I get to see some of my friends, whether they be my graduating classmates or just people that were in high school at the same time as me. It seem like yesterday that we were in high school and were going to pep rallies or to ball games or just "hangin' out at Hardees ( the original one with the upside down roof), riding around in cars, making the "circle" hardees, Whispering Pines, Winks, then back around the circle again.  I think our generation is the last one to have great time to grow up. We weren't under the pressure that kids today are. I mean these kids are learning so much in such a short period of time...It scares me!! When my daughter was growing up, she would come to me and ask questions about her homework and I am ashamed to say that alot of the time I couldn't help her because it was over my head. I had no idea how to help. Now with the computer age and the cell phone (seems no one can be without one any more) with all the advances, in a couple of months after buying one, it is outdated! Gotta buy a new one!! And can you imagine when we were growing up we never needed a cell phone! We would go out to play and our parents never had to worry about where we were or when we were coming home. My parents knew that wherever I was that someone's parent would feed me lunch and that I would be home before dark or if not I would call and tell them when I would be home. Now the world has become so different that you can't let your kids ( or rather grandkids now) go anywhere alone. Can't walk places like we did ( or atleast I did) I would walk uptown or ride my bike, go to the center theater and watch a movie. I rode my bike across town to visit friends or places. things sure have changed.

I hope I get to see more friends, but I hate that lately it seems to only be at funerals. I was hoping that some of our classmates who live close by could meet a few times a year, just to keep in touch. Having a reunion every 5, 10 or 25 years isn't enough for me, but I am different. I like people whether they be friends or family! Some people graduated and they couldn't care less about their classmates and a get together doesn't even enter their mind. Well classmates, even though I wasn't popular, that I didn't have that many close friends (losing a lot of them when I went to private school) I still treasure each and everyone of you. And if during my time in school if I ever said or did anything wrong or hurtful to anyone I am sorry. I tried to "fit in" but I always had trouble doing so. I "followed" the popular people trying to be liked, but mostly that backfired. When I finally just became me I found things a lot better. Too bad that was after graduation.

So to whomever reads this blog, if you like it let me know. If not..do what is in your heart. I have always been a talker, it was just the fact that most of you never never really got to know the real me. Maybe that was more my fault than anyone elses. I have stories to tell and love to tell them. Give me a call sometime, I am in the book!

Best to you all, each and everyone of you, classmates or not!

Just my thoughts

No comments: